A recipe handed down from generation to generation, Grandma’s German Potato Salad is a classic German dish that has been shared from the Asselborn family! Decadent potatoes smothered in a creamy sauce and topped with lots of our Greenridge Farm Applewood Smoked bacon!
Yield: 3 quarts
- 1 pkg Greenridge Farm Applewood Bacon
- 5 lbs potatoes, quartered
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup water vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch
- 3 tsp paprika
- Cook potatoes in jackets with salted water. Remove from the water once they are cooked through and can be easily pierced with a fork. Place in a large bowl.
- Fry bacon, remove from pan and cut into small pieces.
- Sauté the diced onion in 1-2 Tbsp of the bacon grease until transparent, remove from heat.
- Add vinegar, sugar and 3/4 cup of water to the bacon grease. Bring to a boil.
- In a small cup take remaining water and mix in the cornstarch.
- Add cornstarch mixture to the frying pan and simmer for a few minutes, until clear.
- Pour mixture over potatoes, add in bacon and onions and mix until even consistency.
- Sprinkle paprika on top, serve.
Share recipe with friends: